Friday, August 22, 2014

I Promised...You'll Be Sorry

Well, I promised a series, so here it is...Installment Number 2 of Kids' Activities that Aren't the Worst!

Today's feature: Tempera Paint Ice Cubes!

I know, I know.  I just wrote half a post about how much I hate paint.  Well, color me a sucker I guess.  I read about this idea on that thing called the world wide web and I thought I might not hate it.  So here it is, Burns Family Edition:

Step 1: Freeze tempera paint in ice cube trays.  **Hugest money saving tip ever: Water down the paint!**  Okay, well that is probably obvious to the rest you smarty pants, but I haven't ever done that and it was great!  So much more bang for your proverbial buck.  I popped these babies in the freezer before lunch and they were ready after nap!  (That's about four hours...)  Also you could put popsicle sticks in the cubes so that they can have a handle, but we didn't have any.  And lets be honest, they're going to get it all over them anyway.  So just skip that step if you ask me.









Step 2: Spread out the work spaces and let them get to it!  We went outdoors (highly recommended) and went with cardboard and paper on the grass. 




Results: I give this one an A+ also.  The prep time was su-u-u-per short and it kept them busy for almost an hour!  Even the big kids played, although they lost interest much more quickly.  It's a real sensory experience for the little ones because of the ice.  And *bonus*--because the paint is frozen, they can't use it all up in 3.5 seconds like they usually do!  Amen to that! 

But--don't expect zero mess.  I was mentally prepared for the mess, so it was totally okay.  We wore paint shirts and I filled a baby pool with water for washing off whenever they needed/wanted to.  I think that was half the fun...paint, wash, paint, wash, rinse, repeat.  And, as all good/horrible pre-k activities go, they eventually decided to paint themselves with the cubes.  No harm, no foul since we were out in God's Great Art Room (Isn't that what some people call it?  No?  Ok.) 

The way my driveway looks (messy and adorned by weeds) drives me crazy.
Why?  Who knows, since I don't seem to be bothered by it indoors, in my actual house. 



So there you have it.  Give it a try if you're feeling like throwing caution (or paint) to the wind!  Stay tuned for the next time when we do something else ridiculous with paint cubes (cue ominous music) or when I give you my tips for mediocre photo taking/non-editing with an iphone.  You're welcome in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment